Share this recipe
Swede rosti with poached eggs and crisp bacon
|Preparation time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
What You’ll need:
500g swede, coarsely grated
500g potato, coarsely grated
1 onion, coarsely grated
2 tbsp thyme leaves
50g butter melted plus extra for frying
Oil or butter for cooking
8 slices streaky bacon
Hollandaise sauce (optional)
What to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180C. In a bowl combine the swede, potato and onion and squeeze out the excess liquid. Add the thyme and butter, stir well then firmly shape into 8 cakes.
2. In a frying pan heat some butter or oil and fry the rostis, two or three at a time for 3-4 minutes on each side until brown and crisp.
3. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for a further 15 mins. Once cooked blot with some kitchen roll and if necessary, keep warm under some foil.
4. While the rosti are in the oven fry or grill the bacon till crisp and keep warm, then bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and add a splash of vinegar.
5. With a spoon, swirl the water to create a small whirlpool then crack one of the eggs into the centre. This will bring the egg into a neat shape as it cooks, reduce the heat so the water is no longer bubbling and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Serve 2 rosti topped with an egg and a drizzle of hollandaise.